What to do and who to contact
Knowing what to do in an emergency can save lives. Whether you’re at home or out and about, there are some essential things to do if you suspect a gas leak.
If you’re at home and think you can smell gas, the first thing to do is leave your house and contact the National Gas Emergency Line on 0800 111 999
If you’re at home and can do it safely, you can try to turn off the gas supply. The gas mains tap should be beside your gas meter.Move the handle a quarter turn until it’s 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.
What are the symptoms?
Your nose is your personal gas alarm. Domestic gas doesn’t actually have a smell, energy providers add it to the supply to enable you to sniff a gas leak out straight away. So always be aware of the smell of gas.
Got a blocked nose? Lost your sense of smell? You’ll still be able to tell if there’s a gas leak in your home by the following possible symptoms:
If you’re suffering from these symptoms and suspect a leak, you should go outside immediately. If you feel better in fresh air, you could be suffering from the effects of a gas leak.
These are also some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Feeling Light-headed
- Irregular Breathing
If you smell gas, DO:
- Open doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
- Turn off the gas at the mains tap, which is usually near the meter. Move the handle a quarter turn until it’s at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.
- Leave the property.
- Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999. Only use a mobile phone from outside the property. The number is free and available 24 hours a day.
- Follow the advice given by the emergency adviser.
- Wait outside for a gas engineer to arrive.
- If you are feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately. Tell them you may have been exposed to a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you smell gas, DON’T:
- Smoke, light a match or use any other naked flame.
- Turn any electrical switches on or off.
- Use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark.